Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Moon(stone) in June(stone)...



The Moonstone is one of the June birthstones; the others being the Pearl and Alexandrite. I have a particular interest in Moonstones though because a) my birthday just happens to be in June; b) they are a bit more unique than the pearl and c) were highly used in Art Nouveau/Victorian jewelry. As you know, dear readers; I am a vintage devotee.
There is much lore associated with Moonstones and I am all about lore, mystique, superstition, symbolism, signs, pictograms and most especially magical healing properties…I could use all the healing assistance I can get.
The Moonstone can do a variety of different things from helping epilepsy to guarding against sun-stroke.
The ancient Romans believed that Moonstones were drops of the moonlight due to the way they seemed to have a luminescent glow from within.
Lovers are supposed to kiss each other with a piece of Moonstone jewelry in their mouths to ignite nightly passion. I’d kiss just about anyone for this lovely gemstone!
It is also associated with change, intuition, passion, creativity and just about every ardent emotion you can find on the Internet.
This leads me to the point I am trying to make today. I flat out put an antique Victorian Moonstone ring on layaway. It is exquisite. Even though it is a very old ring, it was not handed down to me by any fabulous Great-Grandmama or wise elderly Hobbit. I will just have to create a magical story about it. Not like the Fellowship of the Ring or that scary movie The Ring. My story will embody the splendor this ring emanates and the power of the wearer. It will now be my story.
Thank you to Isadora’s for their wonderful site full of spectacular jewelry. Please check them out, send them some love and create your own Power-of-the-Wearer story. http://isadoras.com/
That is a picture of the actual ring I have started paying off. By mid-November I will have it on my hot, little finger while in the midst of NaNoWriMo...perfect! I'm writing about moonlight lovers from the days of yore...
(http://www.nanowrimo.org/ - National Novel Writing Month)

1 comment:

Attic Clutter said...

Miss Melly ..your blog is darling~~ love the Banner pic of you ..
the ring article is very interesting too(:)
hugs and all that stuff, Patty